[R] Query: how to add quotes when importing a txt file

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat May 10 02:33:02 CEST 2008

Just to follow up based on offline discussion the problem is that
column one values
were being interpreted as numeric (since they are all numbers) so that,
for example, 09122007 was interpreted as 9122007 without the leading
zero.  In such a case the day was regarded as 91 which, of course, can't be.

The first column can be forced to be character like this:

read.zoo("myfile.txt", format = "%d%m%Y", colClasses = c(V1 = "character"))

Its possible that some additional smarts by read.zoo could handle
this automatically but for now the above will do it and I've added additional
warnings to ?read.zoo (in addition to a prior example already there which also
made reference to the numeric/character problem but might have been less
obvious).