[R] Which gls models to use?

Kingsford Jones kingsfordjones at gmail.com
Fri May 9 22:45:07 CEST 2008

Tom,

I've never used lm.gls, but a quick look at the help page suggests
that, unlike gls, it doesn't have built-in functionality to estimate
parameters to structure the response/error covariance matrix.  I
believe it assumes the covariance matrix is known (hopefully someone
will correct me if I'm wrong about that).

So, building off the answer I sent to you on April 29 (pasted below
rather than hyper-linked because parts of the conversation appear to
be missing from the archive), if y ~ N(XB, Sigma) where Sigma =
sigma^2(Lambda) and Lambda is decomposed into VCV, where V is diagonal
and describes a variance structure and C has 1's on the diagonal and
the off-diagonals describe the correlation of the errors, then the
'weights' argument to gls will allow you to estimate a variance
structure for V (see ?varClasses) and the 'correlation' argument
allows you to estimate the correlation structure  for C (see
?corClasses).  You'll notice the first corClass listed on the help
page is corAR1 (there's also corCAR1 if you don't have discrete lags).
 See example(gls) for an example of how it's used, and Pinheiro and
Bates (2000) for detailed examples.

Frank Harrell has commented on this list that gls is underused (
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/06/08/32487.html ).  Given the
fact that it can drastically reduce the constraints of the constant
variance and independence assumptions of the ubiquitous linear model,
I agree.

good luck,

Kingsford Jones

Discussion on weights in gls from 2008-Apr-29

Thanks Kingsford! I will cc r-help.

varPower() works for me. I want to use lm because predict.gls does not
give lwr and upr values, and also the bptest and ncv.test only work
with lm models...