[R] MANCOVA in R

Bruno Estigarribia brunilda at gmail.com
Thu May 8 21:19:45 CEST 2008

Hello,

I have subjects in 4 groups: X1, X2, X3, X4. There are 33 subjects in
group X1, 35 in X2, 31 in X3, and 46 in group X4. I have 7 continuous
response variables (actually integers, approximately normal) measured
for each subject: Y1 to Y7, and two continuous covariates C1, C2 (they
are both integers).
I want to perform all pairwise comparisons for each response variable
between groups. I have searched for a way to do a MANCOVA in R to no
avail. I am familiar with summary.manova, and with Venables & Ripley
"Modern Applied Statistics With S" and Everitt's "An R and S-Plus
Companion to Multivariate Analysis". However, I am neither a
statistician nor a programmer so I am finding it hard to figure this
out. Can summary.manova be adapted to use covariates? What is the impact
of the unbalanced design? Can I adjust for multiple comparisons?
Thank you

Bruno Estigarribia
UNC Chapel Hill