[R] help with updating to R2.7

ravi rv15i at yahoo.se
Thu May 8 14:30:39 CEST 2008

Hi,
There is a lot of information at the link shown below. But it is not easy to know where to look. Also, not easy to interpret correctly the directions.
I followed the following two methods, both of which failed for me.
(1) I first installed R2.7. I then followed the directions in, "What's the best way to upgrade ?" in "R for Windows FAQ". I copied the library folder from R2.6 into the R2.7 folder.
I then tried to run the following command :
update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE, ask=FALSE)
I don't remember the exact error message now, but it did not work. In the instructions, it is stated that one should transfer the installed packages to the library folder. Does this mean that I can just retain the R.css file in the R2.7 library folder and then fill it up with the old package folders from R2.6? Any specific and detailed suugestions are welcome here.
(2) I then tried the following method :
#---run in previous version
packages <- installed.packages()[,"Package"]
save(packages, file="Rpackages")
#---run in new version
load("Rpackages")
for (p in setdiff(packages, installed.packages()[,"Package"]))
install.packages(p)
I copied the Rpackages file from R2.6 into R2.7 folder. But this did not work either. I know that it would be best if I reproduced the exact error messages, but I have tried so many different things now and have lost track of the exact error messages at each stage.
Looking for help,
Thanking you,
Ravi