[R] LaTeX in system()

Christoph Heibl christoph.heibl at gmx.net
Thu May 8 13:37:10 CEST 2008

Dear list,

I want to run latex from an R script:

	system("latex mysource.tex")

or:

	texi2dvi("mysource.tex", pdf = TRUE, clean = FALSE, quiet = 		TRUE,
texi2dvi = latex)

but latex does not seem to be on the search path:

	/bin/sh: line 1: latex: command not found.

Although 'printenv PATH' tells me that the usr/texbin is looked for
executables:

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:/sw/bin:/sw/
sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/
X11R6/bin

Or am I wrong here?

In any case this is strange because if I call latex from the Terminal
shell it runs without problems.  On the other hand texi2dvi from the
tools package also does not work (for the same reason?)

I use R version 2.6.2 on Intel Mac OS X 10.4.11

Why is there a difference between the way the call to latex behaves
directly in the shell or via the R system () command?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Christoph

Christoph Heibl

Systematic Botany