[R] use of sequence on ridge regression

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 8 07:39:00 CEST 2008

On Wed, 7 May 2008, Rodrigo Briceño wrote:

> Sorry to bother with this topic, but I'm still not clear about the
> meaning of the value set that is used on lambda values. Is there a
> correct way of doing that? My doubt is how to choose those 3 values
> that appear in the example.

I think you have not yet read the help for seq(): try printing out
seq(0,0.1,0.001).  There are not '3 values' here, but 3 arguments to a
function.

'lambda' values start at 0 (no shrinkage), and how large you want them to
be is problem-specific.  How many you ask for (101 here) is also
problem-specific, but around 100 values is often used.