[R] algorithmic or automatic differentiation

Simon Blomberg s.blomberg1 at uq.edu.au
Thu May 8 05:35:11 CEST 2008

No, computer algebra systems such as yacas do symbolic differentiation.
Automatic differentiation is a numerical technique that can be used to
find derivatives of functions that can be implemented as computer
programs, through successive uses of the chain rule on the computer code
itself. It would be cool if R could either do AD or interface to an AD
package. R can be used with ADmodelbuilder (see
http://otter-rsch.ca/admbre/examples/glmmadmb/glmmADMB.html) , a
proprietry program, but an open source solution would be nice.

Cheers,

Simon.

--
Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician

Policies:
1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
2.  Your deadline is your problem.

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can
be extracted from a given body of data. - John Tukey.