[R] Gravity (spatial interaction) models in R

Farley, Robert FarleyR at metro.net
Thu May 8 00:35:56 CEST 2008

There may already be tools for gravity model APPLICATION, which is
simply an exercise in normalization.  Perhaps if I describe the gory
details, someone will recognize the problem by another name.

A singly constrained gravity model is simply an exercise in normalizing
the rows of a matrix (your "F-Factors") to match a vector (your
Productions).

A doubly constrained model ("Fratar" or "Furness") is simply an
iterative exercise of normalizing Rows (Productions) and Columns
(Attractions), stopping when the maximum error is within some predefined
limit.

I'm only a newbie, but from what I've seen on the list, this should be
simple to do....

As to calibrating F-Factor functions: one often "chooses" a functional
F-Factor form, then "adjusts" the coefficients, until the weighted trip
length distribution of the resulting trip table matches the observed
data.

Robert Farley
Metro
www.Metro.net