[R] interpreting significance of path coefficients from sem() output

jebyrnes jebyrnes at ucdavis.edu
Wed May 7 06:03:16 CEST 2008

Michael,

As a general rule of thumb (I believe this is in Jim Grace's book, if not
others) one should use 10-20 observations per variable.  If you have 5
variables, and 18 observations, you should probably be a bit suspect of your
results.  That said, if some of your paths are indeed non-significant, well,
they might be!  Have you tried an alternate model with those paths set to 0?
You can them compare the two models in a variety of ways (LR tests, compare
BIC values, etc).

-Jarrett