[R] downloading packages at local disk

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 5 23:53:21 CEST 2008

On Mon, 5 May 2008, John Fox wrote:

> Dear Rodrigo,
>
> I'm going to assume from your description that you're using a Windows OS. In
> that case, you can download Windows binary packages for the current version
> of R from the packages' pages on CRAN (e.g.,
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/car/index.html for the car package --
> note, BTW, lower-case car not CAR) or from
> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.7/ (or from the
> corresponding locations on a CRAN mirror).  Once downloaded, you can install
> from the "Packages -> Install package(s) from local zip files" menu.

And if you wanted to download 'car' in a Windows version of R, you could
use something like

download.packages("car", "g:/Rpkgs")

to put it in folder g:/Rpkgs on your flash drive.  (For some other OS,
set options(pkgType="win.binary") first.)

> The mass and boot packages are part of the standard R distribution and don't
> have to be downloaded or installed separately.

But it is MASS, and part of the VR bundle (you can't download MASS alone).
You might want to update those, though (both had updates today).