[R] axis and tick widths decoupled (especially in rugs!)

maiya maja.zaloznik at gmail.com
Mon May 5 21:02:18 CEST 2008

Hi!

(a complete newby, but will not give up easily!)

I was wondering if there is any way to decouple the axis and tick mark
widths? As I understand they are both controlled by the lwd setting, and
cannot be controlled independently? For example I might want to create major
and minor ticks, which I now know how to do by superimposing two axes with
different at settings, but what if I also wanted the major ticks to be
thicker? or a different colour?
You might find this nitpicking, but I am particularly concerned about rug(),
which passes to axis(), in that I cannot get a decent thick-lined rug,
without the horizontal line also becoming equally thick.
Is there any way to do this without having to resort to segments?

Tnx!