[R] Character entry mismatch in the console window

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 5 15:39:17 CEST 2008

So, you are on Windows (but didn't tell us).  Those 'quotes' in your email
are the so-called smart quotes -- only ASCII quotation marks are accepted
by R.

The change is that R 2.7.0 is actually reading what you pasted into the
clipboard, not some converted version (as previous versions of R did,
although why that conversion did not send the directional quotes which are
in CP1252 is a mystery).  You need to sort this out in your OS -- it is
best to switch off 'smart quotes' in Word, and do a search-and-replace
there (or use a better editor).

On Mon, 5 May 2008, Dennis Hansen wrote:

> Dear R users,
>
> I have just de-installed my old R 2.4.1 and installed R 2.7.0. I downloaded
> this version from the South African mirror, as I am currently working in
> South Africa.
>
> When trying to paste any of my old analyses into the console (I keep them in
> word-documents), I get an error when I first try to load the data with the
> following line (example):
>
> lap.long.dist <-
> read.table(“C:\\Ranalysis\\SouthAfrica\\Lap.oreogena\\lap.long.distance.txt”,
> header = TRUE);
>
> I get the error:
>
> Error: unexpected input in "lap.long.dist <- read.table(“"
>
> Note that (at least on my screen now) the two " (quotation marks) at the end
> of the error message are different. The only way I can make it work is to
> manually go and delete and re-type all the "-characters in my command line in
> R, before pressing enter.
>
> This, to me, suggests that R now for some reason is "mis-matched" or whatever
> you want to call it with the way my computer uses (encodes?) its characters
> in other programmes.

Not 'other programmes', just Word.