[R] R isn't finding tcltk

John P. Burkett burkett at uri.edu
Thu May 1 01:42:21 CEST 2008

On a x86 machine operating under Gentoo Linux, I'm having persistent
difficulty in getting R version 2.6.1 (the latest available through
Gentoo's portage system) to use tcltk.  The R command library(tcltk)
elicits the following response:
Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
   Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
Error in library(tcltk) : .First.lib failed for 'tcltk'

After first encountering this problem, I took the following steps:
1. Made sure that installed programs include dev-lang/tcl,
dev-tcltk/mysqltcl, dev-tcltk/otcl, dev-tcltk/tcl-debug,
dev-tcltk/tcldom, dev-tcltk/tcllib, dev-tcltk/tclperl,
dev-tcltk/tclpython, dev-tcltk/tclreadline, dev-tcltk/tclxml,
and dev-tcltk/tclxml-expat.
2. Verified that tcltk was installed by writing a little file hello.tcl,
running the command "tclsh hello.tcl", and observing that the output was
correct.
3. Removed R by doing "emerge -C R".
4. Set a tcltk USE flag for R by appending the line dev-lang/R tcltk
to my /etc/portage/package.use file.
5. Reinstalled R by doing "emerge R"

Then I started R and again tried "library(tcltk)".  The response was
exactly the same before.

I would be very grateful for your suggestions for solving this problem.

Best regards,
John

--
John P. Burkett
Department of Environmental and Natural Resource Economics

phone (401) 874-9195