[R] ps or pdf

Francois Pepin fpepin at cs.mcgill.ca
Mon Mar 31 20:09:48 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

I have been making a fair amount of figures in R recently that I've
been touching up with Illustrator and I've found a difference between
pdf and ps files and I was wondering if someone could enlighten me
about them.

While the figures look the same, the ps version tends to have
truncated strings. The last character of short strings tends to be on
a string of its own, located right beside the rest. This makes it a bit
awkward to manipulate, especially if scaling is involved. Is there a
reason for this differences?

There also seems to be somewhat arbitrary grouping of the last column
cells in heatmaps in ps files.

I used to prefer the ps because they embed more easily in latex
documents (although pdf are not difficult and conversions are trivial
anyhow), but I'm curious if there are other reasons why one format might
be preferred over the other in this context.

This is with R 2.6 on linux, and I've seen this behavior with older R
version also.

Francois

sessionInfo()
R version 2.6.0 (2007-10-03)
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

locale:
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

[1] rcompgen_0.1-15