[R] Clash between alr3 and AlgDesign. (Was: Re: Second & subsequent calls to function fails. Please help debug.)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sun Mar 30 15:43:10 CEST 2008

On 30/03/2008 8:43 AM, Michael Kubovy wrote:
> Thanks, Duncan,
>
> I started a new session under the suspicion that packages were clashing.

> #########
> # BAD INTERACTION BETWEEN alr3 and AlgDesign
> #########
>
> What now?

There's not much you can do; this is up to the package authors to fix.
Some advice for them:

alr3, crossdes, faraway, and HH don't use a namespace.  This makes them
very vulnerable to this sort of interaction, because they don't get to
choose where the functions they use come from.  They should add one.

In my opinion, all packages should have namespaces, and I'd like to
create a default one if the author doesn't.  (The default would be:
import what is listed in the Depends clause, export everything.)  I
don't think this will happen for 2.7.0, though package.skeleton might
start creating one.

Duncan Murdoch