[R] Rule for accessing attributes?

Tribo Laboy tribolaboy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 08:59:04 CET 2008

Now, how is it that I can access the contents of a named list by
dynamically computed name?

To go back to my previous example I have a list and I know the names.
Now I want do something with that named data in a loop.

lst <- list(x = 1:3, y = 4:6, z = 7:9)
nm <-names(lst)
nm
[1] "x" "y" "z"

I can access the list elements by name directly:

lst$x; lst$y; lst$z,

But I want to do

for (k in 1:3) {
     lst$nm[k]
 }

But this doesn't work, basically because
lst$nm[1] returns a NULL.

So what do I do?

Thanks for helping,

TL