[R] Combining several mappings in ggplot2

Tribo Laboy tribolaboy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 12:01:08 CET 2008

Apologies! I though that the Orange dataset comes with R, but it is in
fact in the package "datasets".

So here's another "Orange2" dataset for the example:

Tree_v = rep(c(1:5),each = 5)
age_v = rep(seq(1,25, by = 5),5) + 10*runif(25)
circumference_v <- rep(seq(21,45, by = 5), 5)*Tree_v + 25*runif(25)
Orange2 <- data.frame(Tree = as.factor(Tree_v), age = age_v,
circumference = circumference_v)

This works fine:

ggplot(data = Orange2, aes(x = age, y = circumference, color = Tree))
+ geom_line()

These generate errors (included):

> ggplot(data = Orange2, aes(x = age, y = circumference, color = Tree, linetype = Tree)) + geom_line()
Error in get("check_domain", env = ., inherits = TRUE)(., ...) :
  Too many values in domain (5 > 4)

> ggplot(data = Orange2, aes(x = age, y = circumference, color = Tree)) + geom_line() + scale_linetype_manual(value = c(1:5))
Error in unit(values, units, data = data) :
  'x' and 'units' must have length > 0

What am I doing wrong?

Regards,

TL