[R] function for the average or expected range?; CORECTION

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Mar 22 16:40:27 CET 2008

Hi, Greg:

      1.  I did the integration in Excel for four reasons:  First, it's
easier (even for me) to see what's happening and debug for something
that simple.  Second, my audience were people who were probably not R
literate, and they could likely understand and use the Excel file easier
than than an R script.  Third, my experience with the R 'integrate' has
been less than satisfactory, especially when integrating from (-Inf) to
Inf.  Finally, to check my work, I often program things like that first
in Excel then in R.  If I get the same answer in both, I feel more
confident in my R results.  I haven't programmed this result in R yet,
but if I do, the fact that I already did it in Excel will make it easier
for me to be confident of the answers.  The function
"getParamerFun{qAnalyst}" gets the correct answer from n = 2:25 but
returns wrong answers outside that range.

      2.  I think the "CORRECTION TO CORRECTION" included a correct
formula:

           E(R) = n*integral{-Inf to Inf of x*[(F(x))**(n-1) -

      The "CORRECTION" omitted the "x*".  The first version had many
more problems.

      Am I communicating?
      Best Wishes,
      Spencer