[R] function for the average or expected range?; CORECTION

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Mar 21 22:39:51 CET 2008

Hi, Greg:

      Thanks very much for the reply.

      1.  The 'ptukey' and 'qtukey' function are the distribution of the
studentized range, not the range.  I tried "sum(ptukey(x, 2, df=Inf,
lower=FALSE))*.1" and got 1.179 vs. 1.128 in the standard table of d2
for n = 2 observations per subgroup.

      2.  I tried simulation and found that I needed 1e7 or 1e8 random
normal deviates to get the accuracy of the published table.

      3.  Then I programmed in Excel the integral over seq(-5, 5, .1)
using a correction to the formula I got from Kendall and Stuart and got
the exact numbers in the published table except in one case where it was
off by 1 in the last significant digit.

      Thanks again,
      Spencer