[R] Installing R-2.6.2 on Windows multiuser

Rick Voland rpvoland at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Mar 21 16:02:56 CET 2008

What is the proper way to install/configure R-2.6.2 for M$-Windows
XPSP2 for multiple users when the other users don't have administrative
rights.  I don't remember this was a problem with previous versions of R.

I installed R-2.6.2 as administrator on the computer.  It installs,
runs, and can manually update fine.  The main user of this computer does
not have administrator rights.  Now, R won't even start.  It gives an
error of
0xC0000022 unable to initialize properly
which is a permissions issue.  The R icon shortcut is coded to look for
configuration/startup files in my directory.  So, I went into Control
Panels > System > Advanced and created an environment variable
R_USER
as
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\XXXXX\My Documents"
where XXXXX is the user's login name.
I tried this with and without quotes, and with single \ or \\ .

I tried an uninstall/reinstall and had the same problem.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Rick Voland
rpvoland at facstaff.wisc.edu