[R] How to cope with : /usr/bin/ld/: cannot find -lgfortran

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 20 10:17:14 CET 2008

Good Morning,

Please don't post twice!

(The two R-help addresses you used are the same list.)

Did I mention that posting twice is counter-productive?

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Ndoye Souleymane wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> I am running R-2.6.1-1.rh5.i386.rpm under RED HAT Enterprise Linux 5, but I get this message error
> /usr/bin/ld/: cannot find -lgfortran when trying installing R CMD INSTALL ade4_1.4-5.tar.gz.
>
> Please help me to cope with this problem.

You need to install it from the appropriate RPM.  This will happen if you
install the R-devel RPM, and while you are at it we urge you to the
upgrade (as the posting guide asked you to do before posting).

The RPMs you need are at
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/redhat/el5/i386/, namely

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/redhat/el5/i386/R-2.6.2-1.rh5.i386.rpm
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/redhat/el5/i386/R-devel-2.6.2-1.rh5.i386.rpm

But if you don't want to do that, just install the gcc-gfortran RPM.