[R] Cygwin and Rtools

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 20 06:39:32 CET 2008

You need Rtools and not Cygwin.  In particular, the make is different, and
the Cygwin one will not work.

I don't know where the confusion comes from: nothing in the R
documentation suggests using Cygwin.  I believe that these days when
Cygwin is installed it does not put itself in the Windows path, so you
don't even need to know it is installed.  (I do have it installed on one
of my boxes just to test Cygwin builds of R -- Cygwin as a Unix-alike.)