[R] R GUI question

Gabor Csardi csardi at rmki.kfki.hu
Wed Mar 19 21:41:37 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:56:13PM -0700, jeffreya wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm looking to create a user-friendly program built around some R methods
> I've written. The program should be as easy to install and use as possible
> and will be built around a GUI. This program will be cross-platform; that's
> crucial.
>
> I'm familiar with Java and its GUI packages, I've been looking at the JRI
> package (interfaces R with Java) but I'm a little uneasy about asking my
> users to go through its installation (necessitates mingw, among other
> things, in Windows). Though, once installed, it could work very well.
>
> I have a little exposure to Tcl/TK. Though I'm not as big of a fan of this
> as I am of Java, I could suck it up and use it, but I'm not sure that its
> installation is a whole lot simpler?

Should be. It comes with R. I believe that it is still the only
cross-platform solution that requires nothing, but the base
R installation.

> What, in your experience, is the easiest way to accomplish something like
> this?
>
> To recapitulate, my criteria are:
> 1.) Easy installation

Tcl/Tk wins here, IMHO.

> 2.) Ease of use (GUI)

Tcl/Tk is not the most modern GUI, so it might be a little
clumsy.

> 3.) Interface with functions written in R

That's no problem for any of the R GUI options, i believe.

> 4.) Cross-platform

Tcl/Tk is.

Furthermore, Tcl/Tk is quite poorly documented, even
if you can usually use its "normal" (not R) documentation.
Sometimes it is hard to find the right way of doing things.

Gabor

Csardi Gabor <csardi at rmki.kfki.hu>    UNIL DGM