[R] S4 : dumpMethod

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Mar 19 12:20:31 CET 2008

    CG> Hi the list,
    CG> I almost finished the green book (chapter 7 and 8 on S4), this is
    CG> probably one of my last question :-)
    CG> I hope you will not miss them to much !

    CG> Here is my today nighmare: I do not manage to use dumpMethod :

    CG> setClass("A",representation(a="numeric"))
    CG> setMethod("plot","A",function(x,y,...){cat("AAAAA\n")})
    CG> dumpMethod("plot","A",file="")
    CG> #setMethod("plot", "A",
    CG> #NULL
    CG> #)
    CG> #[1] ""

    CG> Anything wrong in my code?

No.

dumpMethod() has not been updated when the internal method
definition (and storage) code has been changed.
Consequently, it looks pretty broken to me, as well.

OTOH, I have never seen any need to use it,
since I only work with *.R files which I write and comment and ..
and never would want to replace with anything dumped...

But of course, it's still a bug that
     dumpMethod()
and  dumpMethods()
are currently not working at all.
Do you want to submit a (legitimate (!)) bug report to R-bugs ?

Thank you for your reproducible example and subsequent
questions!

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich