[R] Table of basic descriptive statistics like SPSS

Hank Stevens HStevens at MUOhio.edu
Mon Mar 17 20:14:10 CET 2008

Hi Udo,
See the Hmisc and Design libraries by Frank Harrell, and some
associated PDF docs by Alzola and Harrell describing data management
and display.
Hank
On Mar 17, 2008, at 2:05 PM, ukoenig at med.uni-marburg.de wrote:

> Dear list readers,
> I want to:
>
> 1. Get a table of basic descriptive statistics for my variables
> with the variable names one below the other
> like SPSS descriptive statistics:
>
> Varname N Min Max Mean SD
> xxxx    x  x  x    x   x
> xxx     x  x  x    x   x
>
> 2. Delete some variables from a data frame or exclude variables
> from beeing analyzed.
>
> 3. Create a text file / redirect the terminal output to a
> file (it is supposed to be easy, but I could not find a solution)?
>
> 4. Create a latex/dvi file
>
> 5. Create a PDF file (can that be done within R?)
>
> This code took me some ours (I am new to R). What do you think about
> my solution? Are there easier ones? Comments welcome! Sorry if
> my questions look very basic and I hope they are understandable.
>

> #here is my code
> setwd("c:\\temp") #set working directory
>
> library(psych)
> library(xtable)
> library(tools)
>
> #Create example data frame with many variables
> df <- as.data.frame(matrix( rnorm(1000), ncol=100))
>
> df <- describe(df) #describe from lib psych
>
> #How Can I create a text file with the output of "describe"?
> #The "save as" function from the GUI saves
> #only last part of the output to a text file (the first part is cut)
>

> #delete some variables. Or can I exclude variables from
> #beeing analyzed by "describe" to reduce the numer of cols?
> df$kurtosis <- df$skew <- df$se <- NULL
>
> x.df <- xtable(df) #Create an xtable object
> print(x.df, tabular.environment = "longtable", , floating = FALSE,
>      file="c:\\temp\\descript.tex") #create latex file
>
> # produce dvi file in working directory (from tools)
> texi2dvi("c:\\temp\\descript.tex")  #the lines below have to be added
>
> #Problem: these lines have to be added "manually" to the latex
> #before calling "texi2dvi":
>
> #\documentclass{article}
> #\usepackage{longtable}
> # Latex code
> #\end{document
>

> #Can I prodcuce a PDF file within R?
>

> Thanks a lot in advance!
> Udo

Dr. Hank Stevens, Associate Professor
338 Pearson Hall
Botany Department
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056

Office: (513) 529-4206
Lab: (513) 529-4262
FAX: (513) 529-4243
http://www.cas.muohio.edu/~stevenmh/
http://www.cas.muohio.edu/ecology
http://www.muohio.edu/botany/

"If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men
believe and adore." -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher
(1803-1882)