[R] contextstack overflow

Gisela Sturm gisela.sturm at i-med.ac.at
Mon Mar 17 12:53:30 CET 2008

> I am an absolute beginner in R programming? I have a really long R-code
with
> many variables. When I run the program I always get an error at the same
> place called "contextstack overflow". Does anybody know what to do in this
> case? Are there so strict limitations in R? If yes, is it possible to
handle
> it? How?

There are limits, and they are quite high -- it is far more likely that
you have an error in your R code.

In this particular case, it is saying that you have more than 50 nested
parse contexts -- that is nested if, [, [[, {, ( calls.

I find it helpful to use a syntax-aware editor (e.g. ESS) as that will
highlight these things for you via indentation patterns.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk

Thank you very much!
I think I have more than 50 nested parse contexts. :-/
Is there a possibility to change (increase) this limit?

Gisi