[R] How to let R repeat computations over a number of variables

Uli Kleinwechter ulikleinwechter at yahoo.com.mx
Fri Mar 14 21:13:09 CET 2008

Hello,

I have written a small script to read a dataset, compute some basic
descriptives and write them to a file (see below). The variable
"maizeseedcash" of which the statistics are calculated is contained in
the data frame agr_inputs. My question is whether there is a way to make
R compute the statistics not only for maizeseedcash but also for other
variables in the dataset. I thought about a thing like a loop which
repeats the computations according to a set of variables which I would
like to be able to specify before. Is something like that possible and
if so, how would it look like?

All hints are appreciated.

Best regards,

Uli

********
sink("agr_inputs.txt", append=FALSE, type="output")

agr_inputs<-read.csv2("agric_inputs.csv")

attach(agr_inputs)

min<-min(maizeseedcash)

q25<-quantile(maizeseedcash, probs=.25)

median<-quantile(maizeseedcash, probs=.50)

mean<-mean(maizeseedcash)

q75<-quantile(maizeseedcash, probs=.75)

max<-max(maizeseedcash)

var<-var(maizeseedcash)

sd<-sd(maizeseedcash)

varcoeff<-sd/mean*100

Measure<-c("Min","25%", "Median", "Mean", "75%", "Max", "Var", "SD",
"VarCoeff")

maizeseedcas<-c( min, q25, median, mean, q75, max, var, sd, varcoeff)

solution<-data.frame(Measure, maizeseedcas)

print (solution)

detach(agr_inputs)

sink()

******