[R] smoothest way to upgrade R, say from 2.6.1 to 2.6.2?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 18:57:10 CET 2008

I think Stefan has answered this so I will just
add this about batchfiles.  In the batchfiles distrirbution:

http://batchfiles.googlecode.com

is a file Rgui.bat.  If you put that anywhere in your path and make
your shortcut to that instead of to R itself then it will find the most
recent version of R from the registry and start that so you don't have
to update shortcuts each time you change R versions.  There are
also Rcmd.bat, sweave.bat and similar versions for the corresponding
tasks.  Using those you never have to set your path to R when
installing or upgrading R on Windows.

The most recent version of batchfiles is for Vista and the next to
most recent is for XP as per home page.

If you do want to move or copy your packages from one library to
another movedir.bat and copydir.bat will do that.  You can then use
checkbuilt if its a major version change.  There are also some other
methods described in the Links on the home page.