[R] Problem comparing Akaike's AIC - nlme package

sbegueria sbegueria at eead.csic.es
Tue Mar 11 20:17:52 CET 2008

Hello,

I am comparing models made with nlme functions and non-nlme functions, based
on Akaike's AIC. The AIC values I get for exactly the same model formulation
--for example a linear model with no random effects fit with gls and lm,
respectively-- do not fit, although the values of the four model parameters
are exactly the same. For example:

m1 <- gls(height ~ age, data = Loblolly)
m2 <- lm(height ~ age, data = Loblolly)

m1$coefficients
(Intercept)         age
  -1.312396    2.590523
m2$coefficients
(Intercept)         age
  -1.312396    2.590523

But then:

AIC(m1)
[1] 428.9243
AIC(m2)
[1] 423.9153

I am trying to compare between more complex models, i.e. different ways of
incorporating spatial self-correlation, and this issue with the AIC is
really making me silly!

Thanks,

    S. Begueria