[R] Re ading microsoft .xls format and openoffice OpenDocument files

Bio7 marcel.austenfeld at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Mar 11 16:41:29 CET 2008

"2. Just like there is a read.xls(), it'd be great if we have a
   read.ods() which directly reads files from openoffice. This should
   be easier than grokking Microsoft formats given that openoffice is
   gpl. I hunted a bit and couldn't find any. Does someone know how we
   might approach this?"

Well, this can be realized e.g. with the OpenOffice API
and Java (the rJava package: http://rosuda.org/rJava/).
As far as i know the API can also be accessed from C++ and Python.

I successfully use the OpenOffice APi (from Java) with Rserve to get and
send
data from or to the OpenOffice calc tool (Windows, Linux). The OpenOffice
API itself
and its use is good documented here:

http://api.openoffice.org/DevelopersGuide/DevelopersGuide.html