[R] relationship between t-test CI and SEM?

Rob Campbell stats at robertcampbell.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 05:18:41 CET 2008

Hi,

I have what is probably a stupid question but I'm confused so here goes:

- I have a distribution (n=100) and want to determine if the mean is
significantly different from 0.5.
- When I plot the 2-tailed 95% confidence limits for the standard error
of the mean I find that the upper one just overlaps with 0.5. I was
under the impression that this would lead me to conclude that there was
no significant difference between the sample mean and 0.5.
- However, when I perform a t-test it tells me that my mean /is/
significantly different from 0.5. The confidence intervals returned by
the t-test don't seem to match with the SEM I calculated (lm does return
the same intervals).

I have tried this in both R and matlab with the same results. So I think
I'm calculating things right. Am I misinformed about the interpretation
of the SEM? What are the confidence limits returned by the t-test (they
bear no relationship to the SEM)?

Thanks!

Rob