[R] How to plot raster obtained from readRAST6 in grey scale?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Mar 8 13:09:55 CET 2008

Uwe Ligges <ligges <at> statistik.tu-dortmund.de> writes:

> Rainer M Krug wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a raster which I would like to plot in a greyscale instead of
> > colour. Is this possible, and how?
>
> Probably, and we may tell you how given you tell us what "raster" means:
>
>  > ?raster
> No documentation for 'raster' in specified packages and libraries:
> you could try 'help.search("raster")'

It is possible that this is a spatial object, like a digital picture, so the
function or method used may have been image(), and the relevant argument was
col=. It would help greatly if the question was rendered in R:

"I have an object X:

str(X, max.level=1, give.attr=FALSE)

which I would like to plot in a greyscale instead of colour:

image(X)

Which arguments to method "image" should I use?"

However, re-phrasing answers the question to ?image and probably then to "Where
are greyscale colours?" then to help.search("grey") so to gray.colors?, and
avoids the posting altogether.

If the method is spplot in package sp, the same would hold. In any case, for
spatial data (raster is a rather spatial incantation) the R-sig-geo list might
be more suitable.

Roger