[R] Error message while trying to update packages: Error in gzfile(file, mode) : unable to open connection

Bob Green bgreen at dyson.brisnet.org.au
Sat Mar 8 10:46:34 CET 2008

Hello,

  I have just installed v 2.6.2 on a new computer running Windows XP
and tried to perform 'update packages' via the menu option on the R console.

Any advice on the following problem is much appreciated.

Bob

Below are the warning and error messages received. A search of the
hard drive does not reveal any file including "RtmpgMMu03/libloc" .

 > update.packages(ask='graphics')
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
Warning: unable to access index for repository
http://cran.au.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.6
Warning: unable to access index for repository
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.6
Error in gzfile(file, mode) : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
In gzfile(file, mode) :
   cannot open compressed file
'C:\DOCUME~1\Bob\LOCALS~1\Temp\RtmpgMMu03/libloc_C%3a%2fPROGRA%7e1%2fR%2fR-26%7e1.2%2flibraryVersion,Priority,Bundle,Contains,Depends,Imports,Suggests,Built.rds',
probable reason 'No such file or directory'
 > local({pkg <- select.list(sort(.packages(all.available = TRUE)))
+ if(nchar(pkg)) library(pkg, character.only=TRUE)})
 > local({pkg <- select.list(sort(.packages(all.available = TRUE)))
+ if(nchar(pkg)) library(pkg, character.only=TRUE)})
Error: package 'filehash' could not be loaded
In addition: Warning message:
In library(pkg, character.only = TRUE, logical.return = TRUE, lib.loc
= lib.loc) :
   there is no package called 'filehash'