[R] Problems installing packages using the inbuilt facility: "Error i n gzfile(file, "r") : unable to open connection"

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Sat Mar 8 00:46:31 CET 2008

Works fine for me on the same setup.  Try this and compare (especially
the size of the downloaded file):

> url <- "http://cran.uk.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.6/ada_2.0-1.zip";
> download.file(url, basename(url), mode="wb")  # Note "wb"!!!
trying URL 'http://cran.uk.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.6/ada_2.0-1.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 971893 bytes (949 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 949 Kb
> file.info(basename(url))
                size isdir mode               mtime               ctime
ada_2.0-1.zip 971893 FALSE  666 2008-03-07 15:43:52 2008-03-07 15:43:28
                            atime exe
ada_2.0-1.zip 2008-03-07 15:43:52  no
> install.packages(basename(url), repos=NULL)
package 'ada' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
updating HTML package descriptions
> library(ada)

/Henrik