[R] Numerical Integration in 1D

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Fri Mar 7 19:54:36 CET 2008

Hi Max,

The analytic integral \int _0 ^\Inf exp(-t) t^n log(t) might not converge
because the integrand tends to -Inf as t -> 0.

So, here is a numerical approach to estimating the derivative of the gamma
function:

library(numDeriv)

fx <- function(x, n) exp(-x) * x^n

gf <- function(n) {integrate(fx, lower=0, upper=Inf, n=n)$val}

> grad(x=3, func=gf)
[1] 7.536706

> grad(x=10, func=gf)
[1] 8534040

Best,
Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu