[R] polygon shapefile from line edge coordinate list

Murray Richardson murray.richardson at utoronto.ca
Fri Mar 7 17:21:09 CET 2008

Hello,

I am looking for advice on a task I am trying to complete.

I have a 4 column dataframe defining the start and end coordinates of
line edges (from a CGAL alpha shapes function to define concave hulls
from point clusters).  I would like to create polygon shapefiles from
these line edges, presumably creating lines first and then polygons.

e.g. columns are:

startX  startY endX endY

where each row represents start and end coordinates of a line segment.

I am new to R spatial packages and I am not sure which one is best
suited to this task. There seems to be a lot of options, which is great
but hard to know which one to start with.  Any suggestions on the best
way to proceed with this?  One further challenge is that the list
includes line segments defining multiple polygons.

Thanks for any advice.

Murray