[R] nls: different results if applied to normal or linearized data

Martin Elff elff at sowi.uni-mannheim.de
Thu Mar 6 11:06:26 CET 2008

On Thursday 06 March 2008 (07:03:34), Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> The only thing you are adding to earlier replies is incorrect:
>
>  	fitting by least squares does not imply a normal distribution.

Thanks for the clarification, 'implies' is to strong. I should have
written 'suggests' or 'is often motivated by'.

When I wrote my post, there was only one earlier reply, which mentioned
the objective function.  The point I (rather clumsily) tried to make is: (a)
and (b)+(c) differ in so far that under (a) y may have zero or negative
values, while under (b) and (c) y may only have values above zero.
So the models do not just differ in the objective function but also
in their substantive interpretation, which may help deciding which
is the 'correct' coefficient b.

--
10.0 times 0.1 is hardly ever 1.0
 ---- Kernighan and Plauger