[R] connectivity measure for graph nodes

Mark W Kimpel mwkimpel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 03:03:46 CET 2008

I am doing some work the Rgraphviz, a Bioconductor package, but since my
question is of a more general nature, thought I would send to this list
in hopes that a graph theory expert could answer my question.

I wish to do some statistics on node-node relationships. In particular,
I want to see if two connected nodes share a common property. I believe
that the more "connected" the two nodes are the more likely it would be
that they share the property. The graph is highly connected, with a
large majority of nodes connected in some fashion.

My first question is: can anyone make this real easy and tell me if this
has been done and how?

If not, I need to start with developing a measure of connectedness that
includes degrees of separation and number of edges at each degree. The
highest level of connectivity, with weighting 1, would be a first order
connection (the graph is undirected). Beyond that, of course, it gets
more complicated. To begin, I need to identify the best path between two
nodes then characterize that path.

Rgraphviz seems to have a fair amount of rendering capabilities, but I
don't see many functions to statistically analyze the graph.

Thanks,
Mark
--

Mark W. Kimpel MD  ** Neuroinformatics ** Dept. of Psychiatry
Indiana University School of Medicine

15032 Hunter Court, Westfield, IN  46074

(317) 490-5129 Work, & Mobile & VoiceMail
(317) 204-4202 Home (no voice mail please)

mwkimpel<at>gmail<dot>com