[R] vector manipulations

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Tue Mar 4 23:41:28 CET 2008

Your problem is that your function log1( , ) is not vectorized with
respect to its arguments.  For a function to work in outer(...) it must
accept vectors for its first two arguments and it must produce a
parallel vector of responses.

To quote the help information for outer:

"FUN is called with these two extended vectors as arguments. Therefore,
it must be a vectorized function (or the name of one), expecting at
least two arguments."

Sometimes Vectorize can be used to make a non-vectorized function into a
vectorized one, but the results are not always entirely satisfactory in
my experience.  See

?Vectorize

Bill Venables
CSIRO Laboratories
PO Box 120, Cleveland, 4163
AUSTRALIA
Office Phone (email preferred): +61 7 3826 7251
Fax (if absolutely necessary):  +61 7 3826 7304
Mobile:                         +61 4 8819 4402
Home Phone:                     +61 7 3286 7700
mailto:Bill.Venables at csiro.au
http://www.cmis.csiro.au/bill.venables/