[R] simplifying a GLM-removing categorical variables

mariannej marianne.james at abdn.ac.uk
Tue Mar 4 12:56:28 CET 2008

Hi,

Thanks for reading this mesage!

I have created a GLM (using the quasipoisson family) and am now trying to
simplify it.  One of my explanatory variables is categorical (vegetation
type, with 6 different levels).  In the model, 5 of the 6 levels are
significant and one is not.

How should I simplify my model?  Do I need to take out the whole category
(i.e. all of vegetation type), or just the level that is not significant
(but how would I explain this biologically?)

Please spell out any anwers simply, I am new to R,

Thanks very much
Marianne