[R] glm: offset

John Sorkin jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu
Mon Mar 3 04:01:33 CET 2008

R 2.6.0
Windows XP

A question about running a generalized linear model.

I am running a glm with
(1) a poisson distribution and a log link:
   family=poisson(link = "log")
and an offset.
I would like to know if I should express the offset as the log of the offset value, i.e.
offset=log(NumUniqPt)
or as:
offset=NumUniqPt

I suspect I need to use the log, bu t I can't find any discussion of this in MASS 1994 or on the man page for glm.
Thanks
John

John Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
(Phone) 410-605-7119

Confidentiality Statement:
This email message, including any attachments, is for th...{{dropped:6}}