[R] difference between lrm's "Model L.R." and anova's "Chi-Square"

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Sun Mar 2 05:15:26 CET 2008

johnson4 at babel.ling.upenn.edu wrote:
> I am running lrm() with a single factor. I then run anova() on the fitted
> model to obtain a p-value associated with having that factor in the model.
>
> I am noticing that the "Model L.R." in the lrm results is almost the same
> as the "Chi-Square" in the anova results, but not quite; the latter value
> is always slightly smaller.
>
> anova() calculates the p-value based on "Chi-Square", but I have
> independent evidence that "Model L.R." is the actual -2*log(LR), so should
> I be using that?
>
> Why are the values different?

anova (anova.Design) computes Wald statistics.  When the log-likelihood
is very quadratic, these statistics will be very close to log-likelihood
ratio chi-square statistics.  In general LR chi-square tests are better;
we use Wald tests for speed.  It's best to take the time and do
lrtest(fit1,fit2) in Design, where one of the two fits is a subset of
the other.

Frank Harrell