[R] xyplot questions - axis and plotting two things in same panel

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 01:02:09 CEST 2008

On 6/25/08, Franz Mueter <fmueter at alaska.net> wrote:
> As for your first problem, try:
>
>  xyplot(numbers~breaks|moltype, groups = type, data = alldata, type = "l")

[...]

>  I am also wondering about whether it is possible to change the x axis
>  scale here. I have data going from 0 to 35, but most of the
>  interesting stuff is between 0 and 5. Thus I am wondering if there is
>  any way of specifying that the 0 to 5 range should take up 30 % of the
>  x axis (or something like that) and gradually shrink the axis after
>  that. I have tried doing log on the x axis, but I have a lot of zeros
>  in my data set that really breaks everything.

Rather than having the software support arbitrary axis
transformations, it would be simpler to transform the data; e.g.,

xyplot(numbers~asinh(breaks) | moltype, groups = type, data = alldata,
type = "l")

That still leaves the problem of "nice" axis labels in the original
scale. That is in general a hard problem. For special cases, you can
specify explicit tick positions (in the transformed scale) and
associated labels (in the original scale) using the 'scales' argument.

-Deepayan