[R] heatmap and continuous variable

Hans-Ulrich Klein h.klein at uni-muenster.de
Wed Jun 25 10:19:30 CEST 2008

Gregory Warnes wrote:
> Hello Hans,
>
> Do you need *both* a categorical *and* a continuous variable, or just a
> continuous variable?
>
> -Greg

Hello Greg,

I want to visualize survival data above the columns. So my continuous
variable is follow up time and my categorical variable indicates the
event. As the event has only two states (death or alive), one probably
can omit an extra side bar for this variable and represent it by
different colors within the plot for the follow up time. If it is easier
to place two annotations above the heat map, that would be fine, too.

Probably the simplest solution is: Just plot numbers (follow up times)
in red (death) or blue(alive) above the columns. (Analogous to the
sample names under the columns.) I do not know how to do this.

Regards,
Hans-Ulrich

--
Hans-Ulrich Klein
Department of Medical Informatics and Biomathematics