[R] Extracting "row.names"

Patrick Richardson xplaner800 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 23 18:09:18 CEST 2008

List,

I'm trying to extract the row names of a table I have read into R.

> data <- read.table("mesodata.txt", header=TRUE, row.names=1)

When I try to extract them using,

> names <- data$row.names

I get,

> names
NULL

I've tried changing to a matrix, data frame, etc. and still get "NULL".
I've checked ?row.names as well as help on extracting part of an object,
etc. and unless I'm missing something obvious (likely), I can't figure out
how to extract them.

BACKGROUND
I want to extract the row names (which are basically gene id's) as well as
some other columns (which I can do successfully) and "cbind" them into
another data frame (which I can also do successfully). I just can't get the
row names extracted (Assigned) to an seperate object.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Patrick

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.7.0 (2008-04-22)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages: