[R] Redefining the for loop

ast_shopping at gmx.de ast_shopping at gmx.de
Sun Jun 22 21:21:43 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have the following problem:

I want to redefine the for loop (or define a similar statement) to change its behavior under some circumstances. So, I would like sthg. like

"For" = function ( var, vec, statement ) {

  if ( ... ) {
    /* my implementation of for */
  }
  else {
    /* call R's for loop */
  }
}

I tried to manipulate the elements of the list one gets by

e = quote( for ( i in (1:10) ) print("*") )

That means, storing the variable in e[[2]] (my trials didn't work), and the statement in e[[4]], but I failed.

How can one do this in R? It would be best, if I could redefine "for" directly, so that one can use the same syntax, i.e., with the statement after the function call.

Can somebody help me?

Thanks!

{