[R] ubuntu repository for R

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Jun 21 19:17:25 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 06:03:39PM +0100, Graham Smith wrote:
> Marielle,
>
> Thanks for this. I think I have done as you suggest but still get the public
> key error. Do I need to reboot to get it to work: here is the script:
>

> graham at Antec-Linux:~$ gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv E2A11821
> gpg: requesting key E2A11821 from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
> gpg: key E2A11821: public key "Vincent Goulet <vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca>"
> imported
> gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
> gpg: Total number processed: 1
> gpg:               imported: 1
> graham at Antec-Linux:~$ gpg --export --armor E2A11821 | sudo apt-key add-
> sudo: unable to resolve host Antec-Linux
> [sudo] password for graham:
> Usage: apt-key [command] [arguments]
>
> Manage apt's list of trusted keys
>
>   apt-key add <file>          - add the key contained in <file> ('-' for
> stdin)
>   apt-key del <keyid>         - remove the key <keyid>
>   apt-key export <keyid>      - output the key <keyid>
>   apt-key exportall           - output all trusted keys
>   apt-key update              - update keys using the keyring package
>   apt-key net-update          - update keys using the network
>   apt-key list                - list keys

Notice that Marielle (correctly) wrote

       gpg --export --armor E2A11821 | sudo apt-key add -

whereas you used

       gpg --export --armor E2A11821 | sudo apt-key add-

and the space matters. You tell apt-get to use a command 'add-' which
doesn't exist whereas you need to tell it to use 'add' with '-' as
input (meaning the key will be read on stdin).

In the future, consider the r-sig-debian list for Debian / Ubuntu
questions.  We are now fairly off-topic for R.

Dirk