[R] World Ocean Database files

Roy Mendelssohn Roy.Mendelssohn at noaa.gov
Fri Jun 20 23:00:07 CEST 2008

Hi Franz:

we have a web service that will get you the Pacific.  Look at http://
coastwatch.pfel.noaa.gov/erddap/tabledap/pmelWOD5np.html  it will
show you how to use  form the URL request, and by changing the file
ender you can change the format.

To use in R, you would so something like  (say for a csv file):

> download.file(url="http://coastwatch.pfel.noaa.gov/erddap/tabledap/
> WOD5np.csv?SOME CONSTRAINTS", destfile="/users/frans/wodb.csv")
> wodb<-read.csv(file="wodb.csv")

There are a variety of different format available.  We are
essentially reserving in a different way the service provide by the
PMEL Dapper service.

HTH,

-Roy

PS - I believe ODV also has access to the WODB, but not directly into R.

On Jun 20, 2008, at 1:25 PM, Franz J Mueter wrote:

> Has anyone written a script or function to read data from NODC’s World
> Ocean Database files?
>
> (I know there are simple Fortran and C programs to read these
> files, but
> the output is not suitable for easy analysis)
>
> Thanks, Franz

> Dr. Franz J. Mueter
> School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences, Juneau Center
> University of Alaska Fairbanks
> 11120 Glacier Highway
> Juneau, Alaska 99801-8677

> guide.html

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst