[R] S4 pass-by-value work-around?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Thu Jun 19 17:42:12 CEST 2008

Hi Jeff --

two different scenarios are to overwrite the current object, along the
lines of

y <- uniquify(y)

where uniquify is a method like createUniqueName but returns the
(modified) instance rather than unique name

setMethod('uniquify', 'MyMatrix', function(x) {
    x at uniqueCount <- # something unique
})

The second is a replacement method, along the lines of

setGeneric("uniqueCount<-",
    function(x, ..., value) standardGeneric("uniqueCount<-"))

setReplaceMethod("uniqueCount",
    signature=c(x="MyMatrix", value="numeric"),
    function(x, ..., value) {
        x at uniqueCount <- value
    })

uniqueCount(x) <- uniqueCount(x) + 1
x # now modified

This is untested psuedo-code, so I hope it's right enough to get you
going.

Martin