[R] R perfomance question !!!

Roland Rau roland.rproject at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 23:07:19 CEST 2008

Hi,

diver495 wrote:
> Using Visual Basic I can complete the same script (simple loop of 5000000
> itterations) in 0.1 sec.
> Is it realy R not suitable for huge computing.

If you are happy with Visual Basic, then there is no need for you to use R.
In case your message was not a flamebait, it is well known that loops
like these are often bottlenecks for R.

There are many resources how to easily avoid them. See, for example, "S
Programming by Venables and Ripley or John Chambers' book: Programming
with data.
Even searching the mail archive for subject like "avoid loops" might be
helpful.
You might also consider checking functions like apply, tapply, ...

Best,
Roland

P.S.
It seems there is also a good book available for scientific computing
with Visual Basic:
http://www.ibiblio.org/Dave/Dr-Fun/df200002/df20000210.jpg